Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Give it to God!

Make it a habit to begin and end each day with a prayer (or mantra).  As you wake in the morning and your soul is still and quiet from a restful night, start with a prayer to head your day in the desired direction.  Prayer is like mediation as you focus quietly where you wish your day to go, what energies you want to put out into the universe, and what support you want to get through the day.  And as you rest your head on your pillow after a long day and prepare for sleep, end your day with a prayer.  Give thanks for your blessings, lament on what challenges or strides you overcame during the day and what else you need support with, and always make sure to pray for others both in your community as well as for those in need you do not know.  This puts your soul at ease as you give the blessings and stresses back to God.  "Give it to God" is one of my favorite expressions that my mother-in-law taught me.  It is such a simple statement, but is so full of meaning. One meaning is that your stress, fears and burdens are not your own and God will help you carry your load.  Another meaning is to live your life to God and accept that by giving your path to God you are following God's path.  Or simply, surrender your life to God.

When you pray, do not be afraid to ask God for what you want.  It is such a misconception that prayers have to be limited to giving thanks and being humble.  Make God your friend and your adviser.  TALK TO GOD, SHARE WITH GOD, VENT TO GOD, AND ASK FOR HELP WHEN Y0U NEED IT...that's what relationships are about. Have a relationship with God.

Say your prayers any where and any time. While doing chores, on your commute, in the shower.  You do not have to be in church or kneeling next to your bed  to communicate with God.  When I was a little girl I asked my mother "what if someone is sick or too old to kneel down next to their bed to say their prayers at night?" to which my mother replied "you can pray laying down in your bed".  That was such a memorable moment in my life for I realized you do not have to follow strict rules instilled by others, you can worship your own way and still communicate with God.  There is no one right religion, but a personal preference for how you choose to communicate with and about God.  I was brought up Roman Catholic, but I have also studied and followed Buddhism and the Native American religion of the Lakota Sioux Nation.  Religion is man made.  You can communicate with God in what ever way makes you comfortable, and God (or Goddess) will listen. 

I would like to share with you a few of my favorite prayers.   
Share the love, and post some of your favorite prayers or mantras.

GRATITUDE FOR THE BODY
Dear God.
As I rise up, I thank you for the opportunity to be on this earth.
I thank you for my mind and body.
I thank you for my life.
Please bless by body and use it for Your purposes.
May I rise up strong today, and my body and soul radiate Your love.
May all impurities be cast out of my mind, my heart, my body.
May every cell of my being be filled with Your light.
May my body and mind both be illuminated for Your sake and for the sake of the entire world.
Amen

CLEARING OUT THE PAST
Dear God,
Please take my past and take my future.
Transform them both through the miracle of
  Your power into energies of love and love only.
May I know the present as You would have me see it.
May I see only You in everyone and everything
That I may be dazzled by the light, lifted up by the light, given joy by the light and made new by the light
Release me from my past and deliver me to my future.
In you I trust; nothing else is real.
In you I have faith; nothing else has power.
And so it is that I am where I belong, and I shall strive for nothing.
I am at home; may I feel this and be at peace.
For I would rob myself no longer through my vain imaginings and tormented thoughts.
You are my life
You are here and now.
Amen.

Dear God,
I surrender to YOU my strivings, I let go all needs to effort or to struggle;
I relax deeply into things exactly as they are,
And I accept life so that it may move through with grace.
Amen.

No comments: