Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tis the season of loss?

During traumatic and stressful times in our lives we may ask God “why me?”. When bad things happen to good people we may feel anger toward God, or disappointment, or neglect. In the past two days I have had different associates come to me and share some shocking news.  One said her husband was diagnosed with a neck tumor, awaiting tests. She can’t stop crying, and he can’t stop hugging their two year old son as if it’s for the last time. The other told me his sister had a miscarriage yesterday. This was the family’s first child, and all were devastated with the news. In addition, my brother’s coworker lost his mom around Thanksgiving. What is going on? Why all of this pain and sadness right before the holidays? 

It is difficult to rationalize God’s will during times of fear and grief.  It can be easy to turn away from God.  However, it is during adversities when our belief in the divine is most needed; when we must have faith that all is as it should be. I lost my mother a week after Christmas when I was 16 years old. Two years ago my best friend passed away on the 16th anniversary of my mother’s death.  I felt I would crumble into a million pieces, what was left of me. However, I would remember that both of them had predicted the time of their passing years before it happened. I decided to have faith, that it was their destiny, their time. I also believe we choose our life (including the time of our birth and death) as souls before we are born. So I also took comfort in the idea that this is what they ultimately chose to experience.  Some people turn their loss into opportunities to help others. John Walsh started “America’s Most Wanted” after his son was abducted and killed and the “Amber Alert” was created by a mother who’s daughter Amber was also abducted and killed, in turn saving thousands of other childrens’ lives.

We all deal with issues differently, and when the health and lives of our loved ones are concerned, it is especially difficult to know how to cope.   But you can turn your situation into an opportunity to practice faith; faith that all is as it should be; faith that God knows best, even if we don’t understand why.

No comments: